Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana
Code of Conduct
As a community of faith, we are committed to safeguard our children and youth, the most important gifts God has entrusted to us. The following rules and regulations reflect that commitment and apply to clergy, employees, and volunteers.
- Safeguard children and youth entrusted to my care at all times.
- Treat everyone with respect, patience, integrity, courtesy, dignity, and consideration.
- Complete Safe and Sacred child protection training and read quarterly online articles.
- Avoid situations where I am alone with a child or youth at church/school activities.
- Refrain from giving inappropriate, personal gifts to children or youth.
- Avoid all unnecessary physical contact, especially when alone with a minor.
- Obtain permission from a parent or guardian before contacting a minor via social media or before posting pictures, video, and other information that may identify a minor.
- Always maintain a professional attitude when dealing with minors, avoiding emotional attachment and being aware of the powerful attraction of adults in positions of authority.
- Report suspected child abuse to civil authorities (Indiana Department of Child Protective Service 800-252-5400) or to a local law enforcement agency.
- Contact the Office of the Vicar General (800-942-2397) in the Diocese of Lafayette or the Office of Assistance Ministry (800-533-7018). Compose in writing a detailed description of the facts/incidents of the abuse and send it, as soon as possible, to: Mr. Max Layden, P.O. Box 909, Lafayette, IN 47902.
- Cooperate fully in any investigation of abuse of children and/or youth.
I will not:
- Communicate any views contrary to the teachings of the Catholic Church.
- Use, possess, or be under the influence of alcohol while overseeing youth at any church/school activities.
- Use, possess, or be under the influence of illegal drugs
- Allow minors to have and/or use alcohol or illegal drugs
- Use profanity or engage in behavior that is harassing or degrading to others.
- Allow minors to have, or assist them in gaining access to, pornographic or inappropriate websites, movies, or printed materials.
I certify that I have read and understand the Diocese of Lafayette's Code of Conduct in its entirety and will adhere to it. I understand that the Code of Conduct does not supersede canon or civil law and establishes appropriate ethical standards for ALL personnel who minister and work in the Diocese. I confirm that I have completed and submitted the background check application.
Revised July 27, 2015
Read More about Safe Environment Protocol.